Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Getting Your Butt Kicked

It took me nearly 48 hours to get over the first serious ass kicking that White Lightning has ever received. I honestly believe I was in shock. It was like the past two years of practice and games and practice and games just fell out of their heads. I was dumbfounded. Ruby didn't score a single goal, didn't hustle after the ball, and asked if she could hang out on the sidelines with her friends rather than play. Are you kidding me?

I have come to the conclusion that:

A. having games at 2pm is not good for a bunch of kids who in the past year stopped taking naps. They look slow, tired, and unfocused.

B. They are five and six years old and losing has yet to carry any real pain.

C. Getting over to the playground after the game seems way more important than playing the game.

After the match I spoke with Ruby and tried to gauge her mindset or lack thereof. She pretty much said she tried her hardest (I highly doubt it) and didn't know what happened. I asked her if she understood they lost bad and she said yes. I asked her if she was upset and she said no and looked at me like I was crazy.

I think we are going to have a "soccer 101" practice on Wednesday and try to reset this season. I need to do a much better job.

I love these kids so much.


No comments: