Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It Takes Work To Let Go

Trey Anastasio is the author of the title of this post.  I am not that smart.  What I am, is astute enough to realize that, like many things in my life, good things happen when I stop holding on so damn tight.

Case in point, game five for the rampaging Pink Elephants.  Let us start with the final result and work backwards rather quickly.  The Elephants scored at least five goals.  My little German scored three goals and Ruby had TWO GOALS.  Way to go RUBY!!!!!!  As you can tell that makes dad proud, if only I could have been there.  That's right, I had to forgo my coaching responsibilities for this game in order to run a race I had been training for.  In my head, all I can see is the practice and instruction and whistle blowing and prodding and pleading resulting in the glorious culmination of pure athletic grace and determination.  What probably happened was the team stopped playing tentative and nervous and just went out there and had fun.  Good things happen when you just get out of your head.  They say that you should never go into a dark alley by yourself, well we all have some pretty dark places in our minds.

I asked Ruby how the game went and she said it was fun and she scored. When I followed up with a question about defense she looked at me like I was speaking in tongues.  Well, she had fun. Lesson learned and about the race, I finally was able to let go and just run.  I didn't do too bad. 

No comments: