Thursday, April 24, 2014

Last Run Before Boston - Merrimack River Trail


This was the view from my last training run before the Boston Marathon. Having never been in Andover, Massachusetts I hit up Google Maps to figure out the path for my last four miler before marathon day. As I mentally plotted out my route I noticed that the Andover Trail was only about a mile or so away and ran along the bank of the Merrimack River. Actually, I didn't notice the river but the trail was intriguing so I memorized the road names and turns I would take to get to the trail and off I went.

I'm not sure about luck. We put together enough "next right things" and good fortune seems to head our way. Have you ever felt at peace or had a real calmness envelop you? As I came upon the Merrimack River Trail sign the serenity grabbed me. As I ran swiftly over the pine needled path some emotion leaked out of my eyes so I stopped and enjoyed it. I took pictures of my surroundings, the trail, the trees, the river. I believed right then that the Boston Marathon was going to be a success regardless of time.

Neither hurrying or lagging, I took a short video of thanks when I made it back to the trail head and I took this picture. Running alone in the woods is the closest thing to heaven on earth. 

1 comment: