Wednesday, August 1, 2012

One Daring Act Today - A New Habit

"Do every day or two something for no other reason than that you would rather not do it, so that when the hour of dire need draws nigh, it may find you not unnerved and untrained to stand the test." William James "Habit".

My daughter Ruby and I were reading a book two nights ago called, If You're So Smart, How Come You Can't Spell Mississippi? by Barbara Esham. It's a fantastic book and we really enjoyed it. In the book it references the above quote. The author takes some liberty with the quote so it's a bit easier for a six year old to understand but the message remains the same. This led to a pretty fantastic conversation between my daughter and I and it also led us to starting a new habit ourselves. We both are going to try to do something difficult everyday and then report back to each other at dinner.

Yesterday, we tried our first go at this and it was a fantastic. I want to do my best to relay exactly how the conversation went.

"So Ruby did you do anything hard today?" I asked.

"Yes," she replied.

"What was it?"

"I ran in the back yard as fast as I could and didn't step on any dog poop," she said being completely serious. Then she added, "and that was really hard because there is a lot of poop out there."

Wow, owned by my six year old. She later told me I really need to pick the poop up. We are both really excited about this new thing we can share together and in a round about way she is making herself ready for when the going does get tough.

No comments: