Monday, November 7, 2011

Thank You Sporting Kansas City

It hasn't been twenty four hours since we lost the Eastern Conference Championship in our gem LiveStrong Sporting Park. Yes, I am that fan. I say we, our, us, etc., Some might say success has already came to Sporting when fans start to use those words and take ownership of the team. A vested interest has taken hold among casual fans and diehards alike where the wins and losses are felt deep down and take a few days to move past. This loss amazingly has taken me less than twenty four hours to get over and you know why, because Sporting gave me way more than I put in and for that I am grateful.

It started years ago, when I moved to Kansas City. At that time the Wizards played at Arrowhead and were basically viewed as a niche player in the sports and entertainment landscape. I played soccer for a long time and it is my favorite sport and it has long been my dream to have world class soccer in the town I live. We have that now. I watched games at Arrowhead, Community America Ballpark, and now LiveStrong Park and I have never in my life been in an sports environment like what I sat in last night. It was special and I will never forget the hours I spent singing, cheering, cursing, and praying for the boys on the field to get it done. Alas, it was not meant to be but this is a new day for soccer in Kansas City and as a resident of the metro, I would like to say thank you for a ton of things.

Thanks for not giving up on Kansas City as a soccer town. We love soccer here we just needed a home.

Thanks for the new home. I could belabor the point but it's not necessary. Take one step into LiveStrong Park or hell just look at it from outside and you can easily see that this is a cathedral to soccer. My daughter and I call it the house that Robb built but sometimes we say God.

Thanks for the new name. We love the Wiz and our chants prove it but it was almost like the re-branding was like a new birth. I know it is new, glitzy, and hot right now and that's good. It's better than starting slow but it seems extremely well thought out, professional, and classy. Stay classy.

Thanks to the account executives, marketing talent, sales staff, ticket takers, parking attendants, guitar pick girls, merchandise sellers, concessionaires, cooks, and janitors. These people and those behind the scenes make the experience at LiveStrong Park second to none. From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave you are taken care of and you can feel it.

Thanks to security both uniformed, plain clothed, and private. I sit in the Cauldron and you allow us to police ourselves. I never once felt unsafe, worried, or uncomfortable, even when the refs were blowing it and I thought we would strangle them.

Thanks to the owners, Neal, Cliff, Greg, Pat, and Robb. I mean no disrespect by not using your last name but it's actually a honor. We feel like you are part of us. You are fans, you live here, you come to the games, you spent a load of money to get to this point and deserve to reap the benefits of all your hard work.

Thanks to Robb. As you walk by the Cauldron before the game, with beer in hand, beard on face, and are yelling at us to get pumped that is amazing. You should hear what we say about you. "Here goes a real owner or hey here's Robb, and talk about a guy who wants to win. This guy gets it."

Thanks to the players. Jimmy, Michael, Korede, Matt, Omar, Teal, Julio, Aurelien, Daneil, Birahim, Kevin, Roger, Jeferson, Peterson, Kei, Jon, Eric, Scott, Chance, Lawrence, Craig, Soony, C.J., Luke, Seth, Milos, Shavar, Konrad, and Graham. You fellas are why we almost made it to the top of the mountain and you are the reason we will get there next year.

Thanks to the fans. I spend my games in the Member's Stand and certainly feel a part of something bigger than myself when I am there. As we sing and dance, hug and cry, the agony of the loss and the joy of the wins are so much better when you have friends to share it with.

This was the most enjoyable summer and fall I have had in years and Sporting Kansas City was the reason why. I can't wait for next season.

Thank God for Sporting Kansas City.






No comments: