Friday, July 15, 2011

Kicking Ass and Taking Names - Ruby Style

Last Saturday we wrapped up the Grand National AAU Judo Championship in Kearney, Missouri. This was the second tournament that Ruby had ever participated in and probably her best. She got to experience the high was winning her division, and the disappointment of finishing second in the combined bracket (boys and girls). My big takeaway from the whole event was the she hates losing just as much as me. When she got beat by a young boy in her finals match she came off the mat with her head high but started crying as soon as she got over to me.

"Did you try as hard as you could?" I asked.

"Yes, but I don't know what happened," said Ruby.

"Talk to your coach and then take what he says and we can practice to get better and not make the same mistakes." I said.

"Okay Dad."

I cried when I lost all the way through high school. It was part passion, disappointment, and temper but in the end it made me work harder. I hope she channels that the same way I did.

Check out her sweet takedown and pin in the girls finals match.

No comments: