Thursday, May 17, 2012

Worst to First U6 Girls Soccer Magic

Oh happy days are here again! After a cold, hard struggle this winter the KC Kicks were able to get their groove back and ascend to the top of the U6 Advanced NSA League Table. Sounds impressive, why thank you it wasn't easy. We took a chance by playing up an age group and indoors and with a goalie, lept from that nest a bit early, struggled to get our wings underneath us and crashed into a bush. Lucky for us that bush kept the big predators at bay but not before inflicting some damage. I had one girl quit, lots of sad faces and small amounts of fun. That's not cool.

Somehow the girls stuck it out and we regrouped as the first warm rays of spring warmed our hardened wintered hearts. Overly dramatic...possibly, the way I felt after six consecutive losses...spot on. Some new life was also blown into our team with the addition of three new players. Grace, Helen, and Sophia brought their talents to the Kicks and have been a pleasant addition. My plan is working. Not only am I managing to keep the original seven together from two years ago, I'm starting to get some of their friends. We have ten girls on the team now which led to me splitting them into two team for games. We continued to practice as one team but in an effort to maximize playing time it made more sense to just have two teams. On the whole one team went 7-0-1 and one went 4-4. Combined that is 11-4-1. Their were five teams in our league and two of the other teams were one team that split like us as well. Their combined record was 8-8 so in my warped overly competitive mind we won the solo title and the combined championship. That's like two titles.

Last night was our award banquet. We had pizza, a cookie cake, they played arcade games and my youngest kept asking me for my card so she could get some money. I told her so this is how's it's going to be will all these women in my life. I gave trophies to the kids and medals and certificates to the parents. Literally it is like an giant exhale for me after that party is over. Another season in the books, the girls are markedly better, we are having lots of fun, the team is growing, and we are winning. Damn it feels good.

No comments: