Friday, May 25, 2012

Unrealistic Expectations

Many times it's just necessary to back up and reevaluate the situation you are in and see what you can do to improve it. Waiting on others to read your mind or voluntarily see what you see is not a program you can rely on. Also holding others to standards that you hold yourself to can be difficult when your own personal standards are just higher than other. I actually don't believe my frustrations of late have anything to do with me having personal higher standards, they have to do with me having a higher than normal activity level.

I have to be busy, it's just the way I am. I would imagine I would have been labeled ADHD had my parents not known one of the best ways to manage my disease. You notice I said my disease, I think attention deficit disorder is different in all cases and needs to be treated as such. Well my parents fix was two-fold. When I came home from school, or during the summer as soon as chores were done it was outside until dinner and then back inside once the sun went down. During the school year it was sports and extracurriculars. This wasn't rocket science, keep me busy.

This is where my unrealistic expectations jump up and bite me. Most people want to relax, watch tv, maybe go to a movie, or have a nice evening out. I have to make a calendar note so that I remember to do those things. Doing nothing is an action and I need to spend more time chilling.

No comments: