Monday, May 14, 2012

She's Going the Distance

Hugh props to my wife after a fine performance at the Mother's Day 5K at Corporate Woods in the KC Metro. She has really taken to this running thing and I can tell by our conversation following the race yesterday. My wife like to have running partners. She prefers the social aspect of running with her girlfriends. Talking about their kids, husbands, boyfriends, and life in general she uses it not only for fitness but for funness. The solo road is my cup of tea but we run for different reasons which makes our bond even stronger.

During the race her partner wanted to walk a few times but Emily refused only encouraging her to keep going and that it will be over before you know it. Not walking is a particularly important step for relatively new runners depending on the distance. While I use my own version of the run, walk, run method I think slowing down at aid stations is a good idea but during a 5K you should be able to run at some sort of pace if that is your goal. My wife started out by just wanting to run one hundred yards at a time. Now 5K's are losing their challenge and that leads to point number two. She asked me after the race if I could sign her up for a 10K. Watch out! That is taking it to another level. That is impressive. Before I know it she will be doing a ten miler at Wyandotte with me.

I can't wait.

No comments: