Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Si Habla Espanol?

Flabbergasted is the best way to describe my reaction.


Emily was at the gym, the girls were sitting at the table mowing down some ravioli, mandarin oranges, and potatoes with green beans and I was creating a chili masterpiece when Ruby blew my mind.

Alice asked me for a napkin due to the fact that I think she must hit her face with her ravioli at least three times before she gets it in her mouth. I mean it looks like someone was just throwing tomato sauce at her face. Anyway, after she tells me where mom keeps them, I grab a stack and start to hand them out. I put one next to Ruby and she says, "blanco".

"What did you say?" I inquire.

"That's white in Spanish Dad."


"Wow, what's blue?"

"Azul." Ruby says matter of factly.

We go through all the colors of the spectrum, ROYGBIV for those of you out there needing some help, and she pretty much nails them all.

My first reaction is to take credit and think about how working on this as a toddler is what set the foundation for her learning this now. Maybe, but probably not. What is working is that fact she takes Spanish in Kindergarten and is learning.

I ask her everyday, "what did you do at school today?"

The typical response is already, "nothing." I know that is not true.

My fears of her watching the clock and being disinterested are falling away and the realization on me is this. I need to find ways to tap the excitement for learning at school into a wicked half volley from the top of the box. I can dream.

No comments: