Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Just Can't Win

For the life of me I can't figure out why my girls team can't put a full game together. Is it the fact they are five and six years old? Probably. Is that a good excuse for losing four straight games? It is according to my wife.

While this might sound trite, I worry that the other parents are getting frustrated that we keep losing? I feel like I am being a good coach, trying to make it fun, and helping them enjoy sports and being on a team. Why then do I feel like such a failure this year to these girls? I know part of the answer. I hate losing. My wife and I try all we can to teach the kids it's NOT okay to hate but no matter what I do in my own life, the depression and obsession that come with losing is hard for me to shake.

You might be thinking? "Ben this is under six girls soccer we are talking about here." You are right and when I take a second to look back and really analyze it I know I am being rediculous but it's a bitter pill to swallow. Second, we had never lost until this year and now all of a sudden we aren't any good? That seems crazy to me. The girls practiced through the summer on their own with me and we kept showing improvement, but when the game starts the girls brains go into outer space.

I take some solace in the fact that the girls keep coming back, they all love playing with each other and no parents have yelled at me yet. Those are my sophisticated metrics for personal coaching success.

1. Do the kids you coach come back?
2. Do the kids like each other and do things together away from soccer?
3. Have any parents yelled at me?

I can answer all those positively. I guess I am fishing for a pick me up here.



No comments: