Monday, April 11, 2011

A Lesson in Total Domination

Two weeks into the young season and our first smack down was issued.  When referencing my daughter's 5 year old soccer games I like to use adjectives like beat down, whooping, throttling, and massacre as often as possible. It provides the proper context for the level of play that I think all non-competitive, youth soccer teams should strive for. This Saturday the Yellow Bugs showed the Purple Polka Dots who was boss.

Fast forward to the end and the final score read 6-1.  While the disappointment in giving up the one goal was heavy on my shoulders, they weight was made easier by Susie and Ruby's dual hat tricks.  I have seven girls on my team and only three can play at a time. In an effort to be fair to other teams, I don't put Ruby and Susie on the field at the same time. Ruby is fast and very aggressive.  Susie has the foot-skills of an armless Brazilian and has moves straight out of HOT 103 JAMS!  Together they are like Magic and Kareem, Usher and Bieber, Peanut Butter and Jelly, so good separately but hot damn, amazing together.

The best part of the match was how much better the other five girls are getting.  Annie is my defensive stopper.  When she is out there, she just runs to the back and lets no one get by her it hysterical, I don't even tell her, she does it on her own.  Avery and Chloe are my twin towers and both are getting better but I have to teach them to be more aggressive and realize they aren't going to hurt anyone.  Maggie and Mackenzie are my gentle bugs.  One was crying at the start of the practice but was smiling by the end.  The other started running during the games and almost, almost got a goal.  I have set a personal challenge to get all seven girls a goal by the end of the season. I was so close a couple times on Saturday but we will get there.  The trick it is to put Ruby and Susie in at the same time and tell them to go get the ball, dribble to the goal and them somehow get them to pass it to the other girl. They have this scoring thing down, now they just need to learn how to share.

Coaching - teaching life lessons while kicking ass!

No comments: