Monday, April 4, 2011

From Pink Elephants to Yellow Bugs

Alas the Spring soccer is upon us and we kicked off the new season with a new name.  Since, having a team name is one of my top tips to a successful under 5 team establishing the name early is important. In the fall we went with "Pink Elephants" due to the remarkable coincidence that our jerseys were pink and had elephants on them. Surprisingly, our jerseys are yellow with lady bugs on them so shockingly we are now the "YELLOW BUGS"!!!

I have mentioned this before, but I grade my coaching performance on a couple of ultra analytical measures requiring various algorithms and non-differential linear equations.  The first being how many kids came back.  We had seven girls, including my own, on the team in the fall.  We have all seven, including my own (as much as she would want to go elsewhere) back on the team again.  Success!  Honestly, I don't think it says much about the success or failure of my coaching abilities but I think it speaks to the communication I try to keep with the parents and the amount of fun I try to bring to every game and practice we have.

If you are an overly competitive jerk (I am a recovering competitive jerk) and base success on wins and losses then this season is off to a smashing start.  We played the only team that beat us last year. They have a couple of kids with the foot skills to do step overs and half garrinchas while maintaining possession and kicking while they are running.  For most of my girls keeping the ball close and being able to shield the defender away is a small feat.  Well, that was last year.  Now, almost all my girls and maintain possession and I have two that can actually out run defenders while they are dribbling.  Pretty sweet action!  Anyway, my little one was able to put two in the back of the net and my pocket Ace, Suzie, was able to make four goals.  Four goals, hell one was practically a half volley that went in the goal in the air.  That's amazing considering 95% of the kids at this age can't kick the ball off the ground unless by accident. 

The only downside to the start of this year was that some of the parents didn't recognize me without my luscious locks (see lasts years pic)


On the whole my new look lends to a bit more credibility and probably gives the parents more reassurance in who is leading their kids.

Here is to another great season for the Yellow Bugs!

No comments: