Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Psycho Wyco Winter Edition - Killing me again...

They say the third time is the charm, I say things come in threes and are typically similar.  I had a history professor once tell me that history does not repeat but it rhymes.  This I believe.

I am a member of the Kansas City Trail Nerds http://www.psychowyco.com/ quite possibly one of the best organized, friendly, trail running advocate groups in the area. A classy operation with absolutely stellar volunteers. this organization puts on trail runs of varying distances from 5k to 100k all over the Midwest but principally the Kansas City/Lawrence Metroplex.  The Psycho Wyco Run Toto Run is in my backyard.  Located about fifteen minutes from my house and a place I can get lost in.  The phrase, "it's Kansas how hilly can it be" just sucks. Here check this out. Those runners are walkers on this.


Those hills are not only covered in snow they are steep.  Imagine if you will for a moment a roller coaster at some small, local amusement park. With dramatic hairpin turns, a loose almost out of control feel, with breathtaking drops and climbs all the while it just repeats that same pattern over and over and over. Then at the handle of the ride you have Bad Ben just dreaming up more difficult runs for these far to willing participants. That is the bridle trail at Wyandotte County Park.  Up one steep, snow caked side, down one steep snow covered chute on the other side and repeat for thirty miles.  My experience with during this run was much like my previous two, run 20 miles and call it a day.  At this point, after much introspection and pondering I have decided my performance in these races is attributable to a couple of things.  One I don't drink enough water.  Everyone else is constantly taking sips but I don't.  This is a bad habit I need to get out of but I'm only continuing a process I use in road races, but this is an entirely different animal and I better get hip to that quick.  Secondly, I have to stop asking my wife to come out with the kids. They are my inspiration for life and everything I do but I get concerned that they are going to have to wait for me and when I see them at mile twenty I just go home with them rather then put in another two or three hours. Next time, no kids or wife, I will just call when I am done. You can't really spectate anyway since we are running in the woods the whole time.  

What troubles me about this effort is I am and have been training all winter for an April marathon.  I ran a 3:19:ish and set my PR last marathon out and I have been logging 50 to 70 mile weeks pretty consistently.  I have the lungs for this and the strength but a combination of cramps and not wanting to deal with the pain for three more hours convince me to quit at twenty miles each time.  Such is life, I ran the next day and the day after that.  I read this today and thought I would share it. 

"Love the busy life. It is a joy-filled life. Take your fill of joy in the winter and spring. Live outdoors whenever possible. Sun and air are nature's great healing forces. That inward joy changes poisoned blood into a pure, healthy, life-giving flow."

Lastly a few keys are necessary for anyone thinking about running in one of the Trail Nerd races especially in the Winter Editions. 

1. Beards are awesome.  In one of my previous blog posts I wrote about the overwhelming power of facial hair but for running in the woods they provide another layer of fantasticness.  

Case in point: 
 The above tough man is Brian Kelpe.  As strange as this is we went to high school together in Cape Girardeau, MO.  He is fast and he won the 50k. That's right he won it and I'm sure that sweet ass beard had something to do with it.
 The incredibly handsome young man in the middle with blue shirt and black stocking cap is me.  I had the beginnings of a great beard.  Good enough to endow me with the strength for a top 20 in the 20 miler. Not a terrible days work.
 I have no idea who this guy is but all I can say is nice work, you are the man. 

While I could go on and on, just look at the pictures, check out the links, go to the trail nerd site and read the other blogs.  Lots of snow, ice, slush, hills, and fun.  It's not for the faint of heart but if being alone in the woods, surrounded by nature and peace, then come join the fun.  

 

No comments: