Monday, March 31, 2014

Coaching Youth Soccer - Expectations versus Reality

It was a mixed weekend for the KC Kicks. It's been awhile since I posted on the adventures in youth coaching but I need some relief and writing provides it. I'm up to three teams now. My original KC Kicks are playing U8 YDL (Youth Development League) and are progressing but never as fast as I would like. We took second place in the Fall, fourth in indoor over the Winter, and should come close to winning the league this Spring but we are off to an auspicious start.

The Pink Kicks are one of my two U6 YDL Girl's Teams. This is the one where my youngest plays and lives it up. She had one of my favorite goals runs ever this weekend. She scored her second goal of the game and proceeded to fall over and basically make a snow angel in the grass. She is a riot. Seriously, has no shame and loves her life. This team is a bit physically challenged in this age group. Only my daughter and possibly one other are the correct age but the other girls are playing up because they all are in the same class. Quite of few of them could be U5 and having a lot more success but they are all smiling and having fun and that's the point. We lost the game on Saturday 10-3 and one of my girls was convinced we tied them. I wasn't about to let them think otherwise.

The Yellow Kicks are my other U6 YDL Team. These girls are impressive. We won our second game of the season this weekend 12-1. We had over six assists. If you are not familiar with the one on one still of 3v3 soccer you don't get assists very often. These girls play as a team and are really, really good. People ask why I don't have my daughter on this team and all I can do is laugh. Are we already at the point with Kindergarteners, that I would take my kid away from her friends and put her with other girls simply to get victories? I hope not. Next, Fall we are combining the U6 Girls anyway so they will be one team soon enough.

Finally, I want to share this little tidbit regarding game time changes. I changed my U8's formations the day of the game and it lead to utter confusion. I recommend only making changes you have practiced. Secondly, you can't lose first place in the first game. We tied the opening game against a team we crushed in the Fall. I was beyond disappointed but it was mainly my fault. The opportunity to redeem myself coaching wise will be up quick with two games this weekend.

I'm praying it doesn't rain.

No comments: