Monday, September 17, 2012

Coaching U7 Girls Soccer

Three games deep into the early season of soccer and my head is exploding from rapid learning and improvement that we are making. The difference in a few of my players from game one to game three is staggering. For the first time in a few years I have a girl who is brand new to the game. Meaning she has NEVER played organized soccer before. While I confess I was a bit nervous having a relative novice on the team who potentially might make mistakes that lead to goals against us my fears have been assuaged. I understand that rediculous to think that parents or other players on the team might get upset if someone messes up but these kids care. I have kids who WANT to play defense instead of trying to score goals because they believe they can stop anyone from scoring. Think about that for a minute. I have numerous kids who truly believe they can influence the game and help us win by playing defense. If you asked 100 seven year olds how they can win a soccer game I bet 95 of them would say by scoring the most goals and five would say by not letting any go in against us. I have almost five of those girls on a team of eleven.

As much as I would like to, I can't take credit for that but what I can take credit for is increasing the level of enthusiasm for defense. If one of the kids is in the back and doesn't allow anyone to score of get by them for the half a quarter they are on defense we celebrate it like they just scored a goal. We and this includes the other main coach and the parents yell just as loud for a strong defensive play as we do for a goal. That is the key. If all the love and glory goes to the strikers you are going to have team of wannabe strikers. If you can get them excited to get the ball out of your end or make a pass out to a teammate then when you ask who wants to play defense you get five hands up instead of no hands up.

These girls bring it. 

No comments: