Friday, June 24, 2011

Learning to Swim

Talk about an amazing couple of weeks in the swimming lives of my little ones. I have to share this story and I would imagine that most of you will or have a similar story you can tell. Ruby has been doing her best to get better on floating on her own and swimming from me or Emily to the side of the pool. Headstrong is a good way to describe her but stubborn as a mule is more apropos.

With summer upon us and with Emily taking the kids to the pool almost daily I was wondering how long it would take for Ruby to really get it. Yesterday she got it. The YMCA has a multicolor, coding bracket system to identify the ability levels of swimmers. Similar to the Department of Homeland Security "threat level" warning system. Green is for "swimmers". They can swim in any part of the pool and don't have to have parental supervision...unless they are under eight (sorry Ruby). For homeland security this means you are free to travel throughout the country to large outdoor venues and you probably will only be partially groped by security.

The second level of swimming ability is Red. This is for those who haven't taken the swim test yet but are older than five. All this really means is if you drown wearing one of these you are pretty old and it's another way for kids to tease and make fun of each other. "Hey Tommy, I see you still can't swim on your own, you loser." Hey kids are harsh but don't feel too bad for Tommy, he is thirty two. In homeland security parlance, Red is for eminent death. Terrorists are probably standing next to you and you are more than likely going to die. Be prepared for full cavity searches and possibly more action than you've had in a long time when you go through security.

The final YMCA swim level is Blue. This is for all "non-swimmers" and kids under five and their parents. I rock my blue swim band even outside the pool so people might think I have been clubbing or somewhere exciting. Alice sports her blue band with pride but God forbid I put it on too tight and she can't dangle it. God help us if their is no dangling. In homeland security parlance blue is for guarded. You should keep your awareness up and keep your eyes open for any strange looking fellows who happen to be sweating and wearing explosive vests. The explosive vests are usually a dead give away and it's usually a strong indication of terrorist activity.

The big news is that Ruby is now a green level swimmer. It was pretty freaking awesome. The YMCA test is to swim the length of the pool (25 meters) that's 82 feet or 27 yards for all my Republican friends, without stopping, touching the wall or the lane divider. I mean I get tired swimming that far let alone a five year old. Emily and her went to the lap lane to practice and see if she could possibly do it. She made it in practice so of course Ruby wanted to do it right away. They went and got the lifeguard who administers the test and she jumped in and was on her way. She does her own version of the crawl/breast stroke and ever so slowly bobbed her way down the lane and made it. They put her name in the official "swimmer" book and gave her the coveted green bracelet. I don't think she could smile any bigger. My eyes got a bit moist but I just put my head underwater and opened my eyes so I could contribute any watering eyes to the chlorine. Man, she was thrilled and so was I.

Now if she could just ride a bike...


No comments: