Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Learning Something New

It amazes me how we can learn new things about ourselves when we least expect it.  This has been happening to me every Tuesday for the past month and a half.  In an agreement stuck between my beautiful wife Emily and myself, Ruby is now learning the basics of Judo.  Long story short, I have been pushing for Ruby to wrestle ever since she was born.  My justification was always that it is an Olympic sport for women, some Universities give scholarships for it, and the pool of female athletes in this sport is thin, thus improving her chances for both of these things.  Also, I was a wrestler for years and coached and it is an addiction that gets in your blood and becomes something you want to share. 

My wife on the other hand sees it just as weird for girls to do.  She thinks I'm dumb, the idea is dumb, and Ruby will only wrestle when hell freezes over.  That is pretty hard for me to argue with but believe me I have been.  I also catch flax from my mother-in-law (imagine that) who likes to tell me that Ruby is not a boy.  As you can tell, the influencers on this debate are certainly lined up against me.  What I'm trying to do is find something that focuses on paying attention to details, slowing down and doing things right, respect, and all the while emphasizing personal discipline. Attractive qualities to instill in a child and the earlier the better I might add.

After surveying my options, and consulting my wife (this is a good idea) we decided to give Judo a try.  Luckily for me, the instructor is Kenny Brink and his club is called Brink's Welcome Mat Judo.  Welcome Mat Judo is an organization familiar to most in the Judo family, especially in Kansas City. Kenny has three boys and one of them I was lucky enough to help coach in wrestling so we have some ties.  He was also a National Champion in Judo and has the credentials that any newcomer should look for in finding a good club.

It took me two practices to be comfortable not wanting to be in charge.  That is a personality trait I have had forever, wanting to run the show, and I realized I have no business doing such a thing.  I still harp on her to pay attention and get up off the mat, but I don't have to say much anymore.  She bows to center when she gets on the mat, bows to center before she gets off the mat.  She bows to her partner before each drill and shakes hands after every drill.  She thanks her instructors after every practice and is working hard to get better, not because I tell her to but because she wants to.

When I stopped pushing so hard she has started to thrive.  It's pretty neat, she is learning Japanese, because all the moves are in Japanese, her flexibility is improving, and she is learning a little self defense which, you never know, could come in handy some day. 

I must confess, there is a secret plan to all of this.  Judo is also an Olympic sport so my dream of Ruby being an Olympic Champion is alive and well.  Also, one of the top Greco-Roman female wrestlers for the United States practiced Judo her whole life before she took up wrestling in her twenties.  To quote dumb and dumber, "so you are telling me there's a chance." I can hope.

No comments: